Starting from Iano, a small village in the territory of Montaione, we climb on a paved road up to San Vivaldo. From here, we will go through the Holy Mount of San Vivaldo with our bikes and admire the church, the convent and the chapels. They are real jewels of art and architecture we suggest to visit when you have more time.
We continue uphill for about 2 km up to take the gravel path leading us to the Sanctuary of Pietrina. This small church, which according to some documents dates back to the fourteenth century, is known in Tuscany for the famous “Madonna and Child” painted by Bartolo di Fredi of Siena, a pupil of Simone Martini, who at that time was working in Volterra. Many people are devoted to this painting, which is now preserved in the Bishop’s Palace of Volterra and is brought back to Pietrina every last Sunday of September, when there is a procession to celebrate the Madonna of Pietrina.
Here we will find a natural terrace placed on a rocky ridge from where we can admire a beautiful sunset with Volterra in the background, and if the sky is clear enough, we will be lucky to see the lights of the sunset reflecting on the sea.
Then we ride back toward Iano accompanied by the beautiful colours of the evening, where we will find refreshment with typical local products.
- Meeting in Montaione in the car park in Piazza Gramsci at 8:15am. See map
- For morning tours: meeting at 8.45, starting at 9.00 and return at 12.00.
- For afternoon tour: meeting at 14.15, starting at 14.30 and return at 17.00.
- Schedules are subject to change. The return time is a guide only.
- Payment in cash at the start of the tour. We do not accept credit cards.
- Reservation required within 48 hours (two days before the departure date of the tour).
- The rate does NOT include rental of mountain biking.